top of page


A Boonah family's holiday house was built in 1922.

The Bruckner family visited Bribie from the early days of the Resort and built a holiday home in 1922.

Caretaker Ladies of Bribie

The Tug Company Caretakers' wives sold provisions to campers and managed the dining room and store for the Company.

Emily Howard Coungeau

Although Emily had humble beginnings, by the end of her life she was acclaimed as a successful businesswoman, prolific and popular poet and lyricist.

Indigenous People of Bribie Island

The island was inhabited by the Ngunda people - later known as the Joondoburri - when Europeans first arrived. Despite thriving on the rich resources of the island for thousands of years, by 1891 there were no indigenous people left on the island.

Bongaree the Man

Bongaree (or Bungaree) was an indigenous Guringai man from the Broken Bay area in Sydney. Born circa1775.

Castaways: Pamphlett, Parsons & Finnegan

Thomas Pamphlett, Richard Parsons and John Finnegan in late September 1823 crossed over the Pumicestone Passage and arrived on Bribie Island. They were welcomed by the Ngunda people.

Hector & Sibyl Holthouse

Many remarkable people have made Bribie their home and Hector and Sibyl Holthouse fit that bill.

John Uniacke

Uniacke's personal account of the John Oxley expedition and Pamphlet and Finnegan’s survival was published in London in 1825 by former NSW Judge, Barron Field, in his Geographical Memoirs of New South Wales.

Captains Bingle and Edwardson

In 1822 Governor Brisbane sent Captains Bingle & Edwardson to see if they could find the entrance of a large river in Moreton Bay.

Davies Family of Glan-Y-Mor

Davies family from Bulimba set up a Boarding-House on Bribie in 1917.

Ian Fairweather

After a lifetime of travel and adventure, in 1953 at the age of 62, this world-famous artist came to live in isolation on Bribie Island. He created some of his finest paintings in this hut over the next 21 years until his death in 1974.

John Oxley

John Oxley, Surveyor General of NSW, was sent north by Governor Brisbane in October 1823 to search for a suitable site for a penal settlement for repeat offenders.

bottom of page