BRIBIE STORIES

Florence Anne Gregg nee Bowles in 1918
Florence Anne Gregg nee Bowles in 1918

Courtesy Mike Harris

press to zoom
Florence Anne Gregg nee Bowles with daughter Phyllis 1918
Florence Anne Gregg nee Bowles with daughter Phyllis 1918

Courtesy of Mike Harris.

press to zoom
Map showing Poverty Creek on Bribie Island
Map showing Poverty Creek on Bribie Island

press to zoom
Florence Anne Gregg nee Bowles in 1918
Florence Anne Gregg nee Bowles in 1918

Courtesy Mike Harris

press to zoom
1/3
A Childhood on Bribie - circa 1900

1898 - 1908

Florence Anne Gregg (nee Bowles), who is referred to as “Nan” in this story of her childhood at Poverty Creek on Bribie Island from 1898 to 1908

Location of 12 Bongaree Trail boards
Location of 12 Bongaree Trail boards

press to zoom
Bribie in a Can
Bribie in a Can

press to zoom
Amateur Fishermen's Association of Queensland
Amateur Fishermen's Association of Queensland

press to zoom
Location of 12 Bongaree Trail boards
Location of 12 Bongaree Trail boards

press to zoom
1/13
Bongaree's Heritage Trail Signs

2022

12 signs along the Pumicestone Passage that tell Bribie's unique history .

Launch of the Historical Society December 2008
Launch of the Historical Society December 2008

Courtesy B Clark.

press to zoom
Launch of Bongaree Heritage Walk brochure.
Launch of Bongaree Heritage Walk brochure.

Barry Clark 2009.

press to zoom
Jetty 100th Anniversary Celebrations. 9 May 2012
Jetty 100th Anniversary Celebrations. 9 May 2012

L:R Graham Mills, Geraldine Phillips, Tina Galloway, Lynne Hooper, Barry Clark and Joan Carson.

press to zoom
Launch of the Historical Society December 2008
Launch of the Historical Society December 2008

Courtesy B Clark.

press to zoom
1/6
Bribie Island Historical Society - how it started.

2008 - present

Founding President, Barry Clark, remembers how the Historical Society commenced.

Directors visit the Bongaree jetty site on 24 March 1912.
Directors visit the Bongaree jetty site on 24 March 1912.

L-R Frank Webster, Joe Campbell, GP Campbell & Victor Campbell. Webster & GP Campbell were directors of the Brisbane Tug & Steamship Company. Courtesy John Oxley Library Acc:D1-9-84.

press to zoom
Tug Greyhound at the unfinished Bribie Jetty
Tug Greyhound at the unfinished Bribie Jetty

1912 Courtesy John Oxley Library. Neg 135117 Acc: 86-7-10.

press to zoom
George P Campbell & Captain Taylor at the Tug Company office 1913
George P Campbell & Captain Taylor at the Tug Company office 1913

Bne Tug and SS Co. Limited Office in Brisbane 1913. Courtesy SLQ Neg 167710

press to zoom
Directors visit the Bongaree jetty site on 24 March 1912.
Directors visit the Bongaree jetty site on 24 March 1912.

L-R Frank Webster, Joe Campbell, GP Campbell & Victor Campbell. Webster & GP Campbell were directors of the Brisbane Tug & Steamship Company. Courtesy John Oxley Library Acc:D1-9-84.

press to zoom
1/5
Brisbane Tug & Steamship Company Inc

1912-1952

A Tug & Steamship company started a resort on Bribie Island at Bongaree in 1912.

Bribie Barge ca1960
Bribie Barge ca1960

Courtesy Holly Shiach.

press to zoom
On the Barge to Bribie
On the Barge to Bribie

Courtesy Holly Shiach.

press to zoom
Barge unloading at Sylvan Beach ca1960.
Barge unloading at Sylvan Beach ca1960.

Courtesy Holly Shiach.

press to zoom
Bribie Barge ca1960
Bribie Barge ca1960

Courtesy Holly Shiach.

press to zoom
1/5
Barge Service

1946 - 1963

Before the Bridge to Bribie Island was built people would queue for hours to load their vehicles onto barges.

Enjoying a picnic at Bongaree ca1916.
Enjoying a picnic at Bongaree ca1916.

Courtesy of the SLQ. Neg. 171084.

press to zoom
Picnics where "Welsby Parade" is now near the Library ca1920s.
Picnics where "Welsby Parade" is now near the Library ca1920s.

Courtesy SLQ. Image 6798-0001.

press to zoom
Vera Huet fishing off Bongraee
Vera Huet fishing off Bongraee

Courtesy Huet photo collection

press to zoom
Enjoying a picnic at Bongaree ca1916.
Enjoying a picnic at Bongaree ca1916.

Courtesy of the SLQ. Neg. 171084.

press to zoom
1/6
Bribie Holidays

1917-1939

Holidays on Bribie Island over 100 years ago…..so different to today

Troops practising landing in collapsible boats at Ocean Beach 1942
Troops practising landing in collapsible boats at Ocean Beach 1942

Courtesy BIHS Lytton Wellings collection.

press to zoom
RAN 4 Indicator Loop HQ July 2013
RAN 4 Indicator Loop HQ July 2013

Courtesy B Clark

press to zoom
Signage for Rotary Park Woorim 2019
Signage for Rotary Park Woorim 2019

Courtesy B Clark

press to zoom
Troops practising landing in collapsible boats at Ocean Beach 1942
Troops practising landing in collapsible boats at Ocean Beach 1942

Courtesy BIHS Lytton Wellings collection.

press to zoom
1/6
Bribie War Years

1939-1945

The Military installations on Bribie Island were built between 1939 and 1942.

The track to Woorim prior to road being built 1923.
The track to Woorim prior to road being built 1923.

Courtesy Huet photo Collection

press to zoom
Bullocks being loaded at Toorbul Point for road works on Bribie 1923
Bullocks being loaded at Toorbul Point for road works on Bribie 1923

Courtesy Huet photo collection

press to zoom
Campbell Road ca1950 i.e. First Avenue to Woorim
Campbell Road ca1950 i.e. First Avenue to Woorim

Courtesy MBRC P2072

press to zoom
The track to Woorim prior to road being built 1923.
The track to Woorim prior to road being built 1923.

Courtesy Huet photo Collection

press to zoom
1/9
Building the Road to Woorim

1923-24

A sandy walking track was the only way to go for a surf until 1924.

Advertising for Glan-Y-Mor
Advertising for Glan-Y-Mor

1925 Tourist brochure Courtesy SLQ

press to zoom
Glan-Y-Mor Boarding House ca1918
Glan-Y-Mor Boarding House ca1918

Courtesy Huet photo collection

press to zoom
Ocean Beach Guest House after itr was rebuilt in 1937
Ocean Beach Guest House after itr was rebuilt in 1937

Courtesy State Library of Qld

press to zoom
Advertising for Glan-Y-Mor
Advertising for Glan-Y-Mor

1925 Tourist brochure Courtesy SLQ

press to zoom
1/8
Boarding-House Ladies

1917-1950s

In 1921 there were three Boarding Houses on Bribie Island all situated in Banya Street, Bongaree.

Kling's Bakery ca1960s
Kling's Bakery ca1960s

Courtesy Peter Kling

press to zoom
Kling's Bakery Banya Street, Bongaree ca1970s
Kling's Bakery Banya Street, Bongaree ca1970s

Courtesy Ron Powell

press to zoom
Kling's Bakery ca1960s
Kling's Bakery ca1960s

Courtesy Peter Kling

press to zoom
1/2
Bribie Island Bakeries

1923 - present

Bakeries commenced on Bribie in 1923.

Bridge Construction Aerial View
Bridge Construction Aerial View

Courtesy MBRC Image P1654___BRI_7254

press to zoom
Bridge Toll Booth 1964
Bridge Toll Booth 1964

Courtesy MBRC Image P1906

press to zoom
Paying the last Bridge Toll 1975
Paying the last Bridge Toll 1975

Courtesy MBRC Image P0768. Photo: Near North Coast News.

press to zoom
Bridge Construction Aerial View
Bridge Construction Aerial View

Courtesy MBRC Image P1654___BRI_7254

press to zoom
1/4
Bridge for Bribie Island

1963

During the post-war period private motor cars had become increasingly popular, and the long steamship trips from Brisbane were no longer attractive. The resident population of Bribie was then about 500 people and the local car ferry cost was an expensive 10 shillings return.

John Bingle (in old age) 1796-1882 (cropped)
John Bingle (in old age) 1796-1882 (cropped)

by unknown photographer State Library of New South Wales, PXA 943

press to zoom
John Bingle (in old age) 1796-1882,
John Bingle (in old age) 1796-1882,

by unknown photographer State Library of New South Wales, PXA 943

press to zoom
Flinders Map Chart of Terra Australis Sheet II 1799
Flinders Map Chart of Terra Australis Sheet II 1799

press to zoom
John Bingle (in old age) 1796-1882 (cropped)
John Bingle (in old age) 1796-1882 (cropped)

by unknown photographer State Library of New South Wales, PXA 943

press to zoom
1/3
Captains Bingle and Edwardson

1822

In 1822 Governor Brisbane sent Captains Bingle & Edwardson to see if they could find the entrance of a large river in Moreton Bay.