The Jetty

1912

The Jetty nearly completed 1912.
The Jetty nearly completed 1912.

Photo on the day the Directors of the Tug & Steamship Company were visiting. Courtesy Huet Campbell photos.

press to zoom
Bribie Island jetty 1913 with Caretaker's cottage.
Bribie Island jetty 1913 with Caretaker's cottage.

Courtesy of the SLQ. Acc D1-9-84.

press to zoom
Bribie Island Wharf taken from the vessel, SS Doomba
Bribie Island Wharf taken from the vessel, SS Doomba

Courtesy SLQ. Image 6798-0001-0001 Deeth Family photos.

press to zoom
The Jetty nearly completed 1912.
The Jetty nearly completed 1912.

Photo on the day the Directors of the Tug & Steamship Company were visiting. Courtesy Huet Campbell photos.

press to zoom
1/6

In December 1911 the Brisbane Tug & Steamship Company was granted a special lease of 12 acres of land for the purpose of a jetty.

In April 1912 the company "Taylor Bros." was contracted to erect a 216-foot jetty from iron bark piles and decking while mahogany was used in the construction of the 75x16ft ‘T’ head junction. There was 18ft of water at the end of the ‘T’ junction.


The SS Koopa landed her first passengers on 12th May 1912. A shelter shed was built the next year and a second shed followed for storage of retail items.


In 1926 two additional walkways were added and the ‘T’ was widened to 40ft to facilitate arriving/departing passengers with the central arm having a narrow-gauge tramway built on the jetty with a trolley for conveying luggage and stores.


By the 1950s the jetty was again a single walkway with a shelter shed as severe cyclones caused extensive damage to the structure.


Queensland Premier, Peter Beattie on 5thDecember 2004 officially opened the $4.5 million Bongaree Jetty and Foreshore Improvement Project and the jetty again became a prominent landmark on Bribie Island.


Written by Lynne Hooper from information sourced from the BIHS Database.