Chronology of Bribie Island History
Courtesy SLQ. Negative 168460. Coloured by Lynne Hooper BIHS.
Courtesy Vera Huet Campbell. Coloured by Lynne Hooper BIHS.
Courtesy Vera Huet Campbell. Photo coloured by Lynne Hooper BIHS.
Courtesy SLQ. Negative 168460. Coloured by Lynne Hooper BIHS.
Timeline of Bribie's History through the ages.
1770: Lieutenant James Cook sailed past Bribie Island on the HM Bark Endeavour.
1799: Lieutenant Matthew Flinders landed on Bribie Island.
1822: Captain John Bingle in the Cutter Sally sailed up the ‘Pumice Stone River’.
1822: Captain William Edwardson in the Cutter Snapper sailed up ‘Pumicestone Passage’.
1823: John Oxley landed on Bribie Island and subsequently located the Brisbane River..
1823: Castaway convicts lived with Bribie’s indigenous people.
1830/40s: Escaped convicts from the Moreton Bay Penal Colony and missionaries from the Zion Hill (Nundah) Mission made contact with the Bribie Island indigenous people during this period.
1861: Thomas ‘Martin’ Tripcony Snr selected 1100 acres on the Pumicestone Passage between Glass Mountains Creek and Hussey Creek in 1861.
1863: The Westaways ran cattle at Caloundra and sometimes swam them over to Bribie lsland where they had a drovers’ camp.
1868: Captain Douglas Douglas-Hamilton selected land on Toorbul Point for growing sugar and coffee.
1870: The Bishop, Freeman & Carnegie families settled at Toorbul.
1874: The first oyster licences were issued.
1877: A ‘fishing establishment’ was established by Tom Petrie near present day White Patch for dispossessed Aboriginal people but closed after two years.
1881: James Campbell opened a sawmill near the confluence of Mellum Creek and Coochin Creek, Pumicestone Passage. Campbellville township was established.
1882: The Bestmann family selected 1400 acres on Toorbul Point and named their property “Best Park.
1885: Pumice Stone Channel surveyed and beaconed.
1887: The first survey of land was at Whitepatch and sale of 137 lots announced.
1889: All land on Bribie opened for occupation leases.
1891: Archibald Meston describes Bribie Island as the most historically interesting island on the Queensland coast and the meanest pieces of country in Australia.
1891: An aboriginal mission and school established at Mission Point but it failed closing in November 1892.
1893: Record rainfall recorded near Pumicestone Passage resulted in the silting up of the Pumicestone Passage, drastically reducing the depth of the shipping channel, and impacting the oyster business.
1893: Paddle-steamer Natone offered excursions to Bribie Island.
1896: Bribie Island’s two manned lighthouses were built.
1896: Steamer Tarshaw offered excursions to Bribie Island.
1897: James Clark commenced the Toorbul Fish Company cannery at Toorbul Point selling under the Anchor brand. Charles Godwin was employed as manager.
1901-1912: The Tug ‘Greyhound’ took excursionists on weekends and public holidays to Bribie (but not on a regular timetable).
1908: Sarah Balls, a successful Brisbane entrepreneur, obtained a special ten-year lease of 8 acres on Bribie Island (near where the IGA is now situated) as a site for a fish canning works
1911 Brisbane Tug and Steamship Company applied for a 21-year lease of 12 acres of land on Bribie for tourism.
1911: SS Koopa purpose built in Scotland for the excursion tourism business of Moreton Bay arrived on 24 December 1911. She was licensed to carry 1153 passengers.
1912: The Lands Department completed a survey of the Bongaree area.
1912: The Bongaree Jetty completed for SS Koopa’s first visit on 4th& 5th May.
1912: Water tanks placed at the end of jetty (filled by the SS Koopa) for the use of campers and locals.
1912: Six weatherboard huts were built by the Brisbane Tug & Steamship Company at Bongaree. Later called ‘The Twelve Apostles’.
1912: Pastoral leases were offered on Bribie Island. Taku – 8 square miles, Yippi - 8 square miles and Tambour – 10 square miles. Rental £1 per square miles for term of 10 years.
1913: First mail service was commenced (twice weekly) via the SS Koopa. A receiving office was opened near the jetty.
1914: A petition to Caboolture Shire Council was received from Bribie Islanders asking for severance from the Shire or creation of a new division.
1914-1923: A motor-launch service commenced from Caloundra to Bongaree to connect with the Koopa.
1915: The Avon, a condemned coal barge was scuttled near Dux Creek to protect the oyster beds.
1919: The first car (a 1914 Talbot) took Messrs Hall & Bestman two days to drive on dirt tracks from Brisbane to Godwin Beach, and then floated over to Bribie Island.
1921: SS Doomba purchased from Scotland where she had been a minesweeper during WW1 called HMS Wexford. In 1923 she joined the SS Koopa on Redcliffe/Bribie run.
1922: Bribie was linked to the mainland by telephone.
1922: State Nursery established on the Island for experimental crops.
1923: The first Lifesaving patrols started at Woorim to safeguard the holiday crowds.
1924: The first State School was built at Bongaree.
1924: District postal inspector reported there were now 50 permanent residents on Bribie Island which increased to 100 during summer.
1924: The first road built across Bribie to Woorim by the Brisbane Tug & Steamship Company to enable a bus service to Ocean Beach (Woorim).
1925: Bribie State Nursery conducts its first experiments to improve quality of smooth leaf pineapples suitable for the canning industry.
1926: The Ocean Beach Kiosk built at Woorim by the Tug Company.
1928: The Church of England Hall in Foster Street was dedicated on 27th December.
1929: Closure of Bribie State Nursery.
1929: A new pavilion, bowling green and tennis court was built by the Brisbane Tug & Steamship Co.
1930: The Bribie Island Bowling Club was officially formed on 19 April.
1930: The Methodist Church was built in Banya Street and the first service was held on 23rd December.
1930: Bribie resident population reaches 200 people.
1932: Bribie Island made a separate division of the Caboolture shire and allocated 1 member.
1933: First Councillor for Bribie was William Shirley for Division 5.
1933: Shirley bridge officially opened.
1937: First ambulance hut opened.
1939: Bribie Island Hotel built at Woorim
1933: The Bribie Island Surf Lifesaving Club was officially formed.
1939: Hotel Bribie constructed at Ocean Beach.
1939/42: World War years, Bribie occupied by Military.
1943: SS Koopa requisitioned by the Royal Australian Navy for WW2 service.
1943: MV Mirana (operated by Hayles Cruises) serviced Bribie Island during WW2.
1946: Car ferry operates from Toorbul Point to Bribie.
1947: SS Koopa returned to the Bribie Island service.
1947: The first Catholic Church service was held in rebuilt army huts on land in Nulu Street, Bongaree.
1953: Steamship Koopa ends 42 years of trips to Bribie.
1953: Electricity connected to Bribie from mainland.
1953: Famous artist Ian Fairweather moves to Bribie.
1963: Bribie Island Bridge opens with a toll of 10 shillings (return).
1964: Bribie Public Library opened.
1974: Artist Ian Fairweather aged 82, passed away.
1980: Banksia Beach shopping complex in Sunderland Drive.
1981: Mains Sewage laid on Bribie Island.
1975: Bridge toll ends when Bridge paid for after 12 years.
1989: Bribie Island State High School opens on First Avenue, Bribie Island.
1991: Banksia Beach State School opens at Sunderland Drive, Bribie Island.
Compiled by Donna Holmes, Graham Mills & Lynne Hooper from information sourced from the BIHS Database.